Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Monday, December 15, 2008

Painting: Step by Step!!!(Pt 1)



This is for Arthur C Clarke's "Space Odyssey" Quadrilogy-a frontispiece for the books, a special edition out next year. The only problem was there was no time!! I had about 10 days... I had to sum up the books in one long doublespread painting, so this was the thumbnail I came up with. The format is a given so I wanted to keep major elements out of the center where the gutter would be for the book. I wanted to include The Monolith, Jupiter, three of it's moons, and the surface of our moon and, an astronaut looking at the monolith and cosmic stuff starting to happen...this was about 2x4 inches.



This is the final drawing. Because of time, I worked right on the canvas. In this case it's stretched canvas. I'd also considered working in acrylics as I only had six days to make this painting come together and do a separate portrait of Clarke himself. I changed the angle of the monolith to make it like a door, with "My God it's full of stars" action going on. It'll be 18x24. Something I would normally work bigger with, I just don't have the time. That said, it becomes a good challenge then to meet a deadline and, in the business world, that's most important.



After roughly, an hour, the painting looks like this. I smoosh in paint that basically forms the underpainting which the rest of the colors sit on.I use Ultramarine Blue and Paine's Grey and Burnt Siena for "space" black. I also use the medium of Galkyd which is a drying agent that speeds up working in oils. I also use a bit of Drying Linseed Oil. Very little turpentine mainly because I hate the smell or even using the non-odor stuff. When I use it, I use Gamsol which is a formative substitute. I also use large-sized brushes only!!



After about 3 hours, it looks like this. I started detailing Jupiter, using photos from Galileo/NASA. Originally, I was going to put the earth on the horizon but felt it messed up the composition and became too distracting. I generally dislike "montage" illustrations so I had to do elements from the books but was more concerned with getting the central theme across without being too cliched and kind of disjointed. I was hoping to the stars that the painting would be what I wanted.

Check back next time for how I finish it up in Part 2.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lou Lou said...

I like your work very much! You give me lots of inspiration. I would like to write a children's book some day. Thanks!

12:26 PM  
Blogger thebonebreaker said...

This is awesome Bob!

Looking forward to seeing Part 2...

I am off for the holidays - I will check back, when I return :-)

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Luke- your blog is great too! I need to visit more!

Thanks Bonebreaker! Yeah I might look for that DVD!

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool- thanks for the demo. Why not use Gamsol instead of Turp I thought it was safer?

Happy Holidays

JR Monks

9:02 PM  
Blogger Michael A. Burstein said...

From what you said above, does this mean that the final drawing no longer exists, because it became the painting?

I like the monolith as door concept.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

The drawing indeed no longer exists save for under the painting. I drew it freeform onto the canvas. Usually I take a xerox of that to use as a roadmap but again, I ran out of time where even a day made a difference.

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the demo. I will check in more often and see what's up. I love watching "process"

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you be doing more demos?

11:17 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

I love Process as well,this kind anyway. I hate legal process tho!

Yes, I will be doing more demos. In fact I am doing a book with a dragon demo, coming in two years!

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home