Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas 1968, 2008: Good Luck & Godspeed!!!

It was 40 years ago, today, that Apollo 8 orbited the moon and, for the first time, humans looked back at earth, rising over the horizon of the moon. I remember it very well, like it happened yesterday as I watched as a special news show, on a black and white TV set. I was living in Lancaster, PA at the time, and it's what I remembered most about Christmas 1968. Like 2008, 1968 was basically, a Year in Hell. An unwanted, costly war, economic and social troubles and political turmoil. In 1968, Star Trek was in it's 3rd season, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY and PLANET OF THE APES were new movies. All this geared me up to be an artist who painted imaginative things, whether I knew it or not at the time.
It amazes me where the time went to and makes me realize that the time, is now to live and enjoy. We head into a new year, and I hope a better year in terms of politics and economies. In the meantime, Merry Christmas 2008. Apollo 8(all the missions, in fact) showed what Man can he truly achieves great things, despite all the adversity present.
I wonder where we'll be in another 40 years??

2 Comments:

Blogger leslee said...

Did you see this in the NY Times?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/24/opinion/24morton.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Happy holidays to you and M!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks!!! Yeah, this was pretty cool news to see on the main nightly news!

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home