Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Friday, December 05, 2008

FJA-RIP

Forrest J. Ackerman has died. He was 92. Not unexpected, given his age and recent health but this guy was an inspiration to most of us who grew up with Famous Monsters of Filmland, the great magazine from the 1960's and 70's which, before the net was our ONLY way of seeing previews of new monster and sci-fi films. He inspired a generation of filmmakers like John Landis, Steven Spielberg and Rick Baker right on down to artists like myself. Not one of us could have imagined the end of the life of Uncle Forry.

Forry coined the term "Sci Fi", waaaay back as a pun on "Hi-Fi"(a type of stereo sound in the 50's, kiddies). Many "elitists" in the SCI FI field were chargrinned by this term over the years, saying it somehow "demeaned" the field. Like, get a grip and get over being a Revisionist Historian about the field. It's been around longer than many of us, we're only riding the waves in it and SCI FI will go on long after we're not here, just as it has and will with Forry gone.

There is nothing that can be said that hasn't been said save for "Thanks Forry". Celebrate our imaginations, in his honor, the best way to remember him I'd say. More on him at Yahoo News:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081205/ap_en_ot/obit_ackerman

2 Comments:

Blogger thebonebreaker said...

He will be missed!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Kate!!! I'm usually better at posting and responding. It's been a killer week!

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home