Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Saturday, April 19, 2008

The start of a cover....

Castle and the Harpist(8x10, oils, SOLD) This is the start of a book cover I'm working on. Basically it had to show a forboding castle tower and some "dragon clouds" and this fellow playing a Celtic harp. This presented alot of problems in creating a balance and at the same time, resisting a "stacked" look to the composition. I also wasn't sure how much I could play up the dragons...so I went with subtle(more in a minute).
It was all coming together rather nicely and then I realized that even though I wanted the castle tower to relate to the guy in the forground(it is of importance in the story, I guess), I felt like it was too simple. So I started playing up a curvy tree and the colors of the flowers, etc around it. Kind of a nice contrast, that being he's creating music that's colorful and rich yet the presence of the castle stands in the background.
Then the art director-who's terrific to work with-suggested I COULD play up the dragons more "realistically". So for the final that's just what I will do.
A note here-the sketch is for sale, but if you buy and pay for it, it will be at least a couple of weeks before I can send it out to you! Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome that you're finishing the trilogy with Joanne! It's been 9/10 years (too long) since her first 2 Dragonlord books - also cover work of yours :)

9:16 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Tom! I'm kind of stunned that indeed after...oh, yeah nearly onky a decade...I got back to this. Or it came back to me. WHichever. It should be a nice piece to do.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home