Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Working out color ideas...

Between Planets(8x10, oils, SOLD)
Laugh Lines(8x10, oils $150)These are color sketches, work ups for paintings that will appear later. The top one is for a Heinlein re-issue of a very old book BETWEEN PLANETS. Takes place on a very strange Venus. Lots of cool visual stuff including these Venusian dragons. I wanted to avoid any dark colors or my usual habit of throwing green & orange into everything(Is it my fault they WORK as colors?). The bottom painting is for a collection of Ben Bova stories. Not very visual but, one is a pastiche on how SF shows and movies are made and, Bova's obvious contempt for such based on his own experience consulting(The Starlost-anyone remember?), so I went for the cliched giant space monster and space ship. Lots of fun and the final will be a hoot to do!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

While I encourage you to persue the kind of art that you most enjoy creating, Bob, I will say that i miss your contributions to the IAAA, and I certainly think your take on astronomical subjects are spectacular, moving and unique. Inbound SL9, in Alien Horizons, or Pluto and Charon are emtionally moving, artitically consumate and images that no space probe has yet gotten close to imaging. Your astronomicals always had a sense of wonder, a definite emotive component, and unique viewpoint that set them far apart from what most artists do in the field, digital or not. Whenever I set out to try to capture granduer in an astronomical, yours are the first I turn to for inspiration. Didn't mean to gush, but please don't underestimate your pure astronomical work.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks. I needed a rest from the IAAA. Seemed too full of computer-only people, and some genuine right-wing nuts and that bothered me alot. I too like doing the space art, just the predelection for digital is pretty amazing now, it has it's own properties and, I have been exploring painting. I still love astro art, I just need to feel better with it, as weird as that sounds.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home