Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Earth Bleeds...

Here's how I go from a sketch-which you may have already seen-to a finished cover. The book was EARTHBLOOD by Keith Laumer. A very very cool classic SF book that could easily have been a movie. There was so much visual info! I wanted somehow to depict the earth "bleeding" as at one point it's attacked by aliens. So I made the ships, symbolically look like big ominous knives, one piercing the comfortable circular image of the earth. And a nebula in space looking like blood. I like giving space character. I did this in acrylics on board. Below is my original sketch that came to me in a coffee shop while doodling around. It's going to be a Baen trade paperback out later this year. A book really worth picking up. They just don't write 'em like this much anymore. This piece is 18x24 inches and the price(and this would really be in my "art for sale" blog) is $1300.
A note here. I've gotten AMAZINGLY busy, which is a good thing, but as such, the "painting of the day" will get really sporadic-once or twice a week if I can. Otherwise I'll be blogging and talking about art, life, etc. Feel free to comment. I'll be up and back to smaller works as we get into later May.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home