Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Wednesday...Project and Sketch Day!

Pyramid Scheme 2(rough color idea)
Humorous ideas for fantasy book covers are always a joy to do. This was one for Eric Flint and Dave Freer's PYRAMID SCHEME 2 which is a sequel to a cover I did in 2001. Breaking down ideas to a single, simple image is always tough, but I came up with this idea that showed the Midgard Serpent reading the riot act to Thor, her arch nemesis, while he was a captive audience in her coiling tail!! I liked the idea but the problem was that centering the serpent, made the serpent too much the focal point....I worked really fast to get my idea down, as I usually do.
Refined working sketch(SOLD!)
It hit me what the problem was, after a suggestion from the publisher I did this sketch so that we have a side view and, we see Thor and Middy face to face. Another given was the five-sided pyramid(which is an alien black hole that is messing with time so all these characters can be together!) had to be featured and of importance somehow.

The finished painting, 17x24 inches. This came out a peach and was a pure joy for me to do. I did it in acrylics on canvas. I used the moon as a circular design image to tie together the elements. It also looked cool. I also added in a mountain peak off to the side on which I placed some other characters. I particularly like the texture of the serpent and the look on Thor's face. I sort of posed for Thor and beefed myself up some. This kind of work is similiar to the concept art I did for THE ANT BULLY three years ago. It's alot of fun to do this kind of work, part of my inspiration comes from Don Maitz as well!

We'll have a break here, at least until Monday as I am off, so if you don't see anything new, don't panic too much. In the meantime, have a look at some of the great work on my wife's blog http://daubdujour.blogspot.com/
I think you'll dig it alot. I do!!! She's the one who got me into this blogistuff!



3 Comments:

Blogger Tessa said...

Hehe, that's just cool. Although I can't help captioning it with "pyoo pyoo laser gun".

8:33 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Tessa!

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Eggleton, First I will apologize for my very bad English (in fact, I’m French). I’m one of your fan and I dare to copy one of your picture in my own blog, but don’t worry, I create a link toward your blog.(You can see it here : http://paperdragon.virginradioblog.fr/) If you’re not agree or if there is any problem, please tell me, and I will delete the picture. Once again I will say that I’m very impress by your artworks and I wish I would become as good as you someday.
Floriane Mohr

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home