Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Solstice....

Australian Sunset(8x10 oil, $SOLD)This is a gorgeous sunset I photographed while in Victoria,Australia 18 months ago. I knew someday I would paint it, as I love doing sunsets. The tree you see is a Eucalyptus, so it has this kind of "droopy" look to it, a little alien to Northern Hemisphere eyes, only because the tree grows everywhere there. In fact in dry weather, such trees are a fire hazard, as if they catch lit, they literally explode from the sap. Koala bears also get their entire nutients from them, including water. I have no problem working from photos. I took them, I know-and remember- what I saw and, they catch a moment in a flash that is otherwise risky painting plein air. As it is December 21st-Solstice- it's the shortest day in the northern hemisphere, while in Australia, it's the longest day. Makes you feel kind of small and seeing planetary science occurring before your eyes. I also realized, I gave you TWO paintings in ONE day on Wednesday! This means I might skip a day this weekend. Maybe.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, I am thrilled you are doing these paintings-du-jour. I notice a somewhat hopeful theme developing among your titles. Inspiration can find a way in when the pressure is off, so enjoy! And thanks for cracking open the door to your studio.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I should probably explain that I am a totally different Marianne but a fan nonetheless!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Hi Marianne. Thanks! I'd like to know what theme I am developing as I seem to be wandering around abit. I'm trying to be an optimist, which is what this whole project is all about. Stop by again, please!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Tessa said...

Pshaw. Gum trees are perfectly ordinary, it's you northern hemispherians with your funky trees with straight trunks and straight branches and straight leaves that are strange. ;)

Great sunset.

(Said gumtrees are also burning rather well at the moment. Large chunk of Victoria currently undersiege by bushfires, which will probably last months.)

(...and like Sahi, I slunk over from Gigi's blog.)

10:18 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

HI Tessa, my wife is from Oztralia too, so she's told me well about the gum trees. I love it there. I once had a Xmas there and it was 110 F in Sydney and we all had an Xmas pool party. Her blog is Muse du Jour in my links. I suspect eventually we'll move back to Australia. I love it myself, the people, climate, food, friends there. Thanks for stopping by!!!

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home